Bretta is an NPC in Hollow Knight. Bretta is a lonely beetle who is used to being alone.
Bretta is a beetle who has somehow lost hope for being rescued - she is used to being alone since everyone in town forgets about her. After being rescued and found at the Fungal Wastes, she will move to her house in Dirtmouth. Inside her house, players will learn that she has fallen in love with The Knight and will also find countless materials depicting The Knight such as paintings and dolls and even writes about The Knight. However, if players choose to save Zote the Mighty at the Colosseum of Fools, Zote will move to Ditmouth where the two will meet, and Bretta immediately (and disloyally) changes her perspective and somehow grows fond of Zote, changing and showing all her dedications to Zote, instead of The Knight.
- Location: Bretta Can be found at the Fungal Wastes, southeast of Mantis Village, past the Dashmaster statue and through difficult parkour.
- Progression: Bretta moves to her house in Dirtmouth, and falls in love with the Knight for saving her. However, after you beat Zote the Mighty in the Colosseum of Fools, and he goes back to Dirtmouth, Bretta falls in love with him. Then, you find a secret room beneath her house, where you can fight a dream battle with her imagination of Zote, known as Grey Prince Zote. When you defeat him, Bretta loses confidence in the real Zote (which he deserves), and eventually, she leaves Dirtmouth, never to return.
- Combat: Players may not kill Bretta.
- Rewards: Finding and speaking to her unlocks her house in Dirtmouth and a Mask Shard, in addition to what might be her diary.
- Bretta (Quest): After finding and rescuing her at the Fungal Wastes, she will head back to Dirtmouth in her house. Inside her house, players will find dedications to The Knight as she has grown fond of The Knight after being rescued.
- Related NPCs: Zote the Mighty
- Endings impact: Choosing to save and defeat Zote the Mighty at the Colosseum of Fools will cause Bretta to show her infatuation to Zote instead of The Knight and unlocks a basement with a statue of Zote in her house - and if The Knight hits the statue with the Dream Nail and defeats Grey Prince Zote 4 times, Bretta decides to set out on her own and leaves Hallownest.
Ohhh... please... don't leave me behind!
You... forgot about me...?
I knew you would... everyone always forgets about me...
Oh?! Who are you?
Your face... you're so... so...
I-I'm sorry. I got lost, I don't know how I ended up here. I... you came here to rescue me, Bretta? The girl that everyone just... ignores?
Sorry, when I look at your face I can hardly... I just can't believe you came all the way down here to rescue me. I didn't think anybody...
Sorry... I mean, thank you. I'd better go. Back to town I mean. I'd better get home.
Th... thank you.
Notes & Tips
- She and Sly are the only two bugs who was able to stop The Infection from consuming their mind and body.
Bardoon ♦ Brumm ♦ Charm Lover Salubra ♦ Cloth ♦ Confessor Jiji ♦ Cornifer ♦ Distant Villagers ♦ Divine ♦ Dreamers ♦ Dung Defender ♦ Elderbug ♦ Eternal Emilitia ♦ Fluke Hermit ♦ Godseeker ♦ Grey Mourner ♦ Grimmsteed ♦ Grubfather ♦ Herrah the Beast ♦ Hornet ♦ Iselda ♦ Leg Eater ♦ Little Fool ♦ Lurien the Watcher ♦ Mask Maker ♦ Midwife ♦ Millibelle the Banker ♦ Mister Mushroom ♦ Monomon the Teacher ♦ Moss Prophet ♦ Moth ♦ Myla ♦ Nailmaster Mato ♦ Nailmaster Oro ♦ Nailmaster Sheo ♦ Nailsmith ♦ Nymm ♦ Quirrel ♦ Relic Seeker Lemm ♦ Seer ♦ Sly ♦ Snail Shaman ♦ Steel Soul Jinn ♦ The Hunter ♦ The Last Stag ♦ The Nightmare's Heart ♦ The Pale King ♦ The White Lady ♦ Tiso ♦ Troupe Master Grimm ♦ Tuk ♦ Unn ♦ Vessels ♦ Willoh ♦ Zote the Mighty