Mister Mushroom is an NPC in Hollow Knight. He will start appearing in various locations after defeating the three Dreamers.
Mister Mushroom Information
Mister Mushroom is a mysterious entity first located in the Fungal Wastes and part of the mushroom "Hivemind". This can be seen as he seems to be talking to other entities including the Hungry Knight, a character for an eponymous Team Cherry game. He is also known as the Herald or Master Herald.
- Location: You will find Mister Mushroom standing right where Cornifer used to sell his map in the Fungal Wastes after defeating the three Dreamers.
- Progression: To trigger the quest start, you need to equip the Spore Shroom Charm before talking to him. If you interact with him without it, you won't understand what he's saying – only gibberish – and the quest won't progress.
- Combat: Cannot kill Mister Mushroom.
- Rewards: Allows the player to get the secret achievement "Passing of the Age" as well as an extra scene at the end of the game.
Passing of the age achievement
In order to get the achievement, you need to interact with Mister mushroom in the following locations :
- In the Fungal Wastes, where Cornifer sells his map and after the three dreamers are Dreamnailed.
- In Kingdom's Edge. In a Small Cave on the middle left of the tall area between the tram station and the main area.
- In Deepnest. In the bottom left corner of the rectangular room bellow the failed tramway.
- In the Howling Cliffs. Inside of nailmaster Mato's house.
- In the Ancient Basin. In room just after the broken vessel fight.
- In the Fog Canyon. in the left side of the rectangular room just below the overgrown mound.
- In the Kings Pass, exactly where the Knight starts the game.
Following this, getting any ending will add a secret scene as well as giving you the 'Passing of the Age" achievement.
Notes & Tips
- Mister Mushroom references a past unsuccessful Newgrounds game developed by Team Cherry called “Hungry Knight”.
- He is the only character that breaks the fourth wall.
Bardoon ♦ Bretta ♦ Brumm ♦ Charm Lover Salubra ♦ Cloth ♦ Confessor Jiji ♦ Cornifer ♦ Distant Villagers ♦ Divine ♦ Dreamers ♦ Dung Defender ♦ Elderbug ♦ Eternal Emilitia ♦ Fluke Hermit ♦ Godseeker ♦ Grey Mourner ♦ Grimmsteed ♦ Grub ♦ Grubfather ♦ Herrah the Beast ♦ Hornet ♦ Iselda ♦ Leg Eater ♦ Little Fool ♦ Lurien the Watcher ♦ Mask Maker ♦ Midwife ♦ Monomon the Teacher ♦ Moss Prophet ♦ Moth ♦ Myla ♦ Nailmaster Mato ♦ Nailmaster Oro ♦ Nailmaster Sheo ♦ Nailsmith ♦ Nymm ♦ PoggyThorax ♦ Quirrel ♦ Relic Seeker Lemm ♦ Seer ♦ Sly ♦ Snail Shaman ♦ Songstress Marissa ♦ Steel Soul Jinn ♦ The Hunter ♦ The Last Stag ♦ The Nightmare's Heart ♦ The Pale King ♦ The White Lady ♦ Tiso ♦ Troupe Master Grimm ♦ Tuk ♦ Unn ♦ Vessel ♦ Willoh ♦ Zote the Mighty
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
I personally think mister mushroom is a good character and is so funny. Of the soul and shade and seals that bind. The void is ever watchful. -SealofBinding
Oh, yeah. That ending cutscene was SO worth it... Thanks a lot, Team Cherry... Nice troll move. Right, don’t give us a happy or hopeful ending for the Knight, the Hollow Knight, and Hallownest — instead, give us a freakish flying nightmare-fuel mushroom man that stares (pointlessly) into your soul...