City of Tears
Nailsmith is an NPC in Hollow Knight. Nailsmith is a bug who specializes in forging Nails.
Nailsmith is capable of strengthening The Knight's Nail and is obsessed with the thought of forging the "perfect" nail. He will offer his services to forge The Knight's Nail in exchange for Geo and Pale Ore. Once the Nailsmith has forged the Pure Nail, he will realize that his work is done and will step outside his shop - after you speak to him, he will ask you for a final request to kill him with the use of the "perfect" nail leaving you with the choice to do his final wish or to spare his life.
- Location: Nailsmith Can be found at the City of Tears
- Progression: Nailsmith moves to Greenpath at Nailmaster Sheo's if players choose to spare his life and have acquired Great Slash.
- Combat: Players may kill the Nailsmith.
- Rewards: Finishing a quest grants the Happy Couple Trophy/Achievement, killing him grants the Purity Trophy/Achievement.
- A Nailsmith's Obsession: Players will need to forge The Knight's Nail until acquiring the Pure Nail. Once it has been forged, the Nailsmith will step outside his shop and realizes his work has come to an end. He will mention that he would like to see how the perfect nail strikes and asks for you to kill him using the newly forged Pure Nail. Now, it is up to you to either kill him or spare his life.
- Related NPCs: Nailmaster Sheo
- After killing him, you can find his corpse at the Junk Pit. However, if you choose to spare his life, you can find him in Nailmaster Sheo's house in Greenpath only if the Nail Art Great Slash has been obtained.
Have you brought me another nail to be honed? Leave it on the ground and return later, if you're still breathing.
Hmm? Oh. I thought you were someone else.
After a Nailsmith are you? Well, you've found one. I'm not much for talk, but if its a nail that needs repair then you've come to the right bug.
Your own nail is in quite a sorry state. It's obviously not one of mine. Still, anything can be refined with enough effort and skill, even that broken blade.
|Channelled Nail||800, 1x Pale Ore|
|Coiled Nail||2000, 2x Pale Ore|
|Pure Nail||4000, 3x Pale Ore|
Notes & Tips
- The Nailsmith can be killed with other methods, such as using Spells.
- The Dream Nail can be used on him and his corpse for additional dialogues.
Bardoon ♦ Bretta ♦ Brumm ♦ Charm Lover Salubra ♦ Cloth ♦ Confessor Jiji ♦ Cornifer ♦ Distant Villagers ♦ Divine ♦ Dreamers ♦ Dung Defender ♦ Elderbug ♦ Eternal Emilitia ♦ Fluke Hermit ♦ Godseeker ♦ Grey Mourner ♦ Grimmsteed ♦ Grubfather ♦ Herrah the Beast ♦ Hornet ♦ Iselda ♦ Leg Eater ♦ Little Fool ♦ Lurien the Watcher ♦ Mask Maker ♦ Midwife ♦ Mister Mushroom ♦ Monomon the Teacher ♦ Moss Prophet ♦ Moth ♦ Myla ♦ Nailmaster Mato ♦ Nailmaster Oro ♦ Nailmaster Sheo ♦ Nymm ♦ PoggyThorax ♦ Quirrel ♦ Relic Seeker Lemm ♦ Seer ♦ Sly ♦ Snail Shaman ♦ Steel Soul Jinn ♦ The Hunter ♦ The Last Stag ♦ The Nightmare's Heart ♦ The Pale King ♦ The White Lady ♦ Tiso ♦ Troupe Master Grimm ♦ Tuk ♦ Unn ♦ Vessel ♦ Willoh ♦ Zote the Mighty
Killing the Nailsmith with spells is objectively the worst thing you can do
I didn’t know you could spare him and now I feel terrible D”:
Really sad to see haters hating on this poor fellow, and complaining like fools... He doesn’t deserve it at all. This sad, lonely old Rhinoceros Beetle blacksmith is just doing his job. Nice of him to even continue his trade to upgrade the Knight’s nail. I love his design and his character, too. He’s endearing with his fuzzy beard, and he’s not cruel or malevolent. A gloomy soul at first - but he does his best! You don’t want a blacksmith to upgrade your sword? Don’t go to him. Quit complaining...
I like how the Nailsmith has a happy ending - God bless Sheo for befriending him and caring for him like a brother, as he mentioned. The assisted-suicide thing is really screwed-up (I don’t care what anyone says - I’m not s nihilist, it *is* morally wrong to kill him, and even Nailsmith himself admits he was wrong in asking the Knight to kill him) and that opinion alone should make the game T-rated. No idea how that slipped under the radar... I will never strike down this poor beetle. He needs friendship and brotherly love, and thankfully he can achieve a best pal to care for him and give him hope again.
All of the Nailmaster brothers, their new friend the Nailsmith, and Nailsage Sly, should get back together. Would make a very deep and interesting long quest-line, bringing together all of the greatest swordsmen in Hallownest. Those characters have so much potential! :)
It is not immoral to kill him with the blade after he maxes it out. It's a very old tradition. Warriors would do that when they were too old or wounded to fight. Doing that or allowing him to go meet the painter are both acceptable
if you kill the nailsmith in general you are an awful person
I mean, hallownest’s civilisation is in ruins, is he gonna go to the supermarket or something?
Why does he even charge you geo at all? What’s he gonna do with it?
6 pale ore in total
And plenty of pale ore
he is an asshole. he charges you 4000 geo knowing full well hes gonna die seconds later