Temple of the Black Egg is a Location in Hollow Knight. Please see Walkthrough for other areas. A temple with a large black egg where three masks of the Dreamers can be found carved onto the seal. It is where the Hollow Knight is being kept bound with chains and sealed by the power of the Dreamers.
- Previous: White Palace
- Next: N/A
- Bosses: Hollow Knight, The Radiance
NPCs in the area
Materials & Consumables
Equipment & Upgrades
Temple of the Black Egg Walkthrough
Dream No More
There are three endings that you can acquire, but for this walkthrough, we have focused on acquiring the true ending, Dream No More. You can check the Endings page to further learn more about the possible outcomes. A couple of things to remind you of to obtain the true ending:
- Acquire the Dream Nail and upgrade it into the Awoken Dream Nail by collecting 1800 Essence from defeating Warrior Dreams, Dream Boss Variants, (Check the Bosses page to learn more) and by extracting Essence from Whispering Root Trees. Once you have enough essence, speak to the Seer to acquire the upgraded item.
- Make sure to find all three Dreamers' physical bodies (Monomon the Teacher, Lurien the Watcher, and Herrah the Beast) and kill them in the Dream World which will cause their seals to break. You'll need to use the Dream Nail or Awoken Dream Nail on their physical bodies to find their actual conscious spirit in the Dream World.
- Make sure you've acquired the Kingsoul charm. Half of the charm is given by The White Lady at the Queen's Gardens, while the other half is obtained from the corpse of The Pale King at the White Palace.
- And finally, with the Kingsoul charm, use it to gain access into The Birthplace which is located deep within The Abyss and absorb the void which will cause the Kingsoul charm to transform into the Void Heart charm.
Once you have done the following, you can head to the Temple of the Black Egg which is located in the Forgotten Crossroads. You'll find Hornet standing next to the sealed gate. Speak to her first then walk up to the gate and it will finally shatter and open up the path that will lead you into the Hollow Knight's lair. Hornet will mention that she won't be able to join you in battle, but if the opportunity presents itself, she will help. Head inside the temple and continue into the long path, you'll find a bench midway before you respectively arrive at the Hollow Knight's lair.
Boss Battle, Hollow Knight
Upon arriving, you'll find the Hollow Knight is still bound by the chains. In order to start the battle, you'll have to destroy the chains that are on both sides. Upon destroying the last chain, the Hollow Knight will break free and the battle will start. You can click here to learn more about the strategies on how to defeat this boss. Once you've reached the third phase and have almost defeated it, Hornet will appear and pin down the Hollow Knight for a brief moment - quickly ready the Awoken Dream Nail and strike the Hollow Knight with it which will take you to the Dream World where you'll face the true boss, The Radiance.
True Boss, The Radiance
The Radiance has 1700 HP and five phases that you'll have to fight your way through. You can click here to learn more about the strategies on how to defeat this boss as well as to check its phases and attacks. You'll know when you're in the last phase once The Radiance teleports to the topmost level of the arena and shoots down laser beams in random positions or towards where you are, you'll need to make your way up the platforms and then hit the boss with one strike with The Nail which will cause the Void to restrain it. The Hollow Knight's shade then appears and helps to hold The Radiance down, and The Knight turns into a shade and executes the final blow to kill and obliterate The Radiance along with its Infection once and for all. A cutscene will then follow which marks the end of the game.
Trivia & Notes:The Temple of the Black Egg is a temple located near the entrance to Dirtmouth. The outside of the temple was made from the shell of an ancient bug. In the centre of the temple lies a black, stone egg, adorned with the three masks of the Dreamers.
To stop the Infection, the Hollow Knight was sealed in this egg after sealing away the Radiance. In the past, some bugs went to the temple to pray, but they stopped going there after some time.
Initially, access to the Black Egg is blocked by a seal on the entrance. After killing all three Dreamers, this seal is broken and the entrance is opened. This area grants access to the Hollow Knight and Radiance boss fights. The World Sense Ability can be acquired from the Lore Tablet next to the Bench.
i like men
the awoken dream nail needs 1600 not 7200
it doesnt load the images for me