Sharpened Nail in Hollow Knight is an upgraded form of the Nail, which is the weapon used by The Knight. The Nail is the primary means of dealing damage to Enemies and Bosses, and can be upgraded a total of 4 times. The Sharpened Nail is the first of four upgrades that can be obtained for the Knight's Nail, allowing it to deal improved damage.
- See the Nail page for an overview of combat mechanics and moves pertaining to the Sharpened Nail.
A traditional weapon of Hallownest restored to lethal form.
Hollow Knight Sharpened Nail Information
The Sharpened Nail has a base damage value of 9 which is used in the calculation for total damage dealt for attacks and effects that take Nail Damage into account.
Nail Damage is affected by the following charms:
Nail Damage also affects the damage dealt by Nail Arts.
How to get the Sharpened Nail in Hollow Knight
The Sharpened Nail is the first upgrade available for the Nail and is forged from the base Old Nail as follows:
- Find the Nailsmith in his hut in the lower left-most section of the City of Tears map.
- Provide the Nailsmith with 250 to complete the upgrade.
How to Upgrade the Sharpened Nail in Hollow Knight
The Sharpened Nail can be upgraded by the Nailsmith into the Channelled Nail.
Upgrading into the Channelled Nail increases its base damage to 13 and requires the following:
Pale Ore is a rare material used to upgrade the Nail. Starting from the Channelled Nail, all subsequent Nail upgrades require 1 or more Pale Ore in addition to Geo. There are a total of 6 pieces of Pale Ore that can be found throughout Hallownest and finding them is not an easy task. See the Pale Ore page for all locations and instructions on how to obtain this resource.
Hollow Knight Sharpened Nail Notes & Tips
- Nails are bladed weapons akin to swords and are used in a similar fashion, with slashing strikes forming the basis of their attacks. Nails are prevalent in Hallownest and are used by its guards, soldiers and other warriors. Nails can be seen wielded by various Enemies, Bosses and NPCs that The Knight encounters. The denizens of Hallownest also wield other weapons that appear to be variations of the Nail such as the Mantis Lords' spears and Hornet's Needle.
- The Sharpened Nail is the restored form of the Old Nail, with its cracks repaired and the weapon taking on its proper sword-like shape.
- While Nail appearances change in the menu as you upgrade them, these changes are not visible on The Knight's sprite when wielding the weapon.
- This is the only form of the Nail that does not require Pale Ore to forge.