Strike the ground with a concentrated force of SOUL and Shadow. This force can destroy foes or break through fragile structures.
Descending Dark is a Spell in Hollow Knight. Spells are magical active skills that complement The Knight's offensive and defensive capabilities. Each Spell is powered by SOUL and has a base cost of 33 required to cast. Descending Dark is the upgraded form of Desolate Dive, allowing the Knight to plunge into the ground from mid-air and deal damage upon landing. Descending Dark deals a lot more damage for the same amount of SOUL.
Hollow Knight Descending Dark Function & Usage
Just as with Desolate Dive, the Descending Dark spell causes The Knight to perform a short leap into the air before forcefully diving into the ground, emitting a large shockwave upon landing. It is performed by pressing the Focus/Cast or Quick Cast while holding Down on the D-Pad.
- Descending Dark retains all of the properties of Desolate Dive, but now envelops the Knight in SOUL and Shadow, dealing more damage to enemies hit and covering a much larger area.
- The spell now has three separate hitboxes, dealing three instances of damage; The dive with deals 15 damage to anything the Knight touches on the way down, the massive shockwave which now spreads much further horizontally on either side of the point of impact and dealing 30 damage, and a follow-up burst of shadow which emanates vertically from the Knight, dealing another 15 damage. This burst of shadow can hit enemies above and around the The Knight. All three instances deal a total of 60 damage.
How to Obtain the Descending Dark Spell in Hollow Knight
The Descending Dark spell is acquired by releasing a Snail Shaman encased in crystal in the upper-left section of the Crystallised Mound. The mound is a sub-area located in the lower-right section of Crystal Peak and is comprised of difficult platforming terrain.
- It is recommended to purchase the Lumafly Lantern from Sly in order to illuminate the dark sections of Crystal Peak leading to the Crystallised Mound.
- You will also need the Crystal Heart or Monarch Wings to cross the chasm leading to the mound.
Descending Dark replaces the Desolate Dive spell.
Hollow Knight Descending Dark Spell Modifiers
The Descending Dark spell can be modified by the following Charms:
- Shaman Stone - Improves Descending Dark's damage by ~47%. It increases the damage dealt by the dive portion from 15 to 23, and the shockwave portion from 30 to 50. The follow-up burst of shadow retains its 15 points of damage. Total damage dealt is increased from 60 to 88.
- Spell Twister - Reduces the SOUL cost to 24 per cast.
Hollow Knight Descending Dark Notes & Tips
- The crystallized Snail Shaman from whom Descending Dark is acquired can be hit with the Dream Nail. Her Dream Nail dialogue reads "...Free...me..."
- Just as with Desolate Dive, Descending Dark can be used when the Dung Defender burrows underground, forcing him out and staggering him.
|All Spells in Hollow Knight|