Grey Prince Zote
|Health||1200 - 1500|
Grey Prince Zote is a dream Boss variant of Zote the Mighty in Hollow Knight. Bosses are special Enemies that feature their own arena, a large amount of health, and a variety of unique moves and abilities. You will need to perform multiple attacks such as using The Nail and Nail Arts along with the Spells and Abilities in order to defeat them. Some bosses are capable of being placed into a state of stagger by landing a number of attacks on them.
As soon as you encounter a boss, its name will appear on the screen, the music will change into a boss battle theme, and usually, paths connecting the arena will close or will be blocked leaving you no choice but to face these devastating and unique foes.
Figment of an obsessed mind. Lacks grace but becomes stronger with every defeat.
"My love, any creature who could bear to be away from you, who would willingly leave you behind or say unkind things to you... Pah! Lowly maggots, not worthy of standing in your glorious shadow!"
She felt her cold body grow warm, a sensation she had almost forgotten... - 'The Grey Prince' Chapter 112
Grey Prince Zote Location
- Location: Dirtmouth
- Players will need to rescue Zote The Mighty and defeat him in the Colosseum of Fools, then rescue Bretta. You'll need to acquire the Monarch Wings and the Dream Nail as well. Once the two are seen in Dirtmouth, you can access the basement of Bretta's house where you'll find a reimagined statue of Zote. Strike the statue with the Dream Nail to enter the arena located inside the Dream World.
Grey Prince Zote Rewards
- 300 Essence
Grey Prince Zote Strategies
To win the battle against the Grey Prince, you'll need to finish the battle as quickly as possible and this is where heavy damage output charms will work. Having a combination of Quick Slash, Mark of Pride and Fragile Strength/Unbreakable Strength will be useful here since you'll be able to maximize the damage that is dealt with just The Nail - just be sure that you upgrade your nail by visiting the Nailsmith.
Spells will also be helpful here since you want to have the versatility to attack both in a close and long-range situation. With that said, it is also recommended to have the Spell Twister and Shaman Stone charms equipped to maximize the overall effectiveness of the spells.
For abilities, before heading into battle, make sure you have acquired the Shade Cloak ability as well as the Monarch Wings. Having the Shade Cloak ability will save you from getting hit by the shockwaves since you can phase through it if you are caught in a sticky situation. Monarch Wings, on the other hand, will allow you to dance around the arena to avoid his attacks.
Grey Prince Zote has some moments where he is vulnerable to getting hit, such as when he starts to spit out the Zotelings, you can use that opportunity to land a few attacks as well as when he trips over when he starts to run and swing his weapon towards The Knight - patience, and precision is needed in order to win this battle.
Attacks & Counters
|Flail Attack||Can be avoided if you jump over him or dash through with the Shade Cloak and then wait for him to get tired where he'll fall onto the ground releasing shockwaves. Once he's on the ground you can attack.|
|Slam Attack||Can be avoided if you jump over the shockwaves or dash through it with Shade Cloak.|
|Zotelings||Zote spits out either a winged or spider-like bug that has Zote's head. You can quickly kill it in a group by using your spells.|
|Shadow Pound||Since he disappears for a brief moment before slamming onto the ground, it is best to avoid it if you have the Shade Cloak ready so that you can quickly dash away from his landing spot and then execute a double jump to avoid getting hit by the shockwaves.|
Grey Prince Zote Lore
Grey Prince Zote is a hidden boss in Hollow Knight. He is the empowered dream variation of Zote the Mighty that was created by Bretta's reimagination of him. Not only is Grey Prince Zote very physically powerful, he also displays knightly chivalry, hence his utmost loyalty toward Bretta, as she imagines herself to be his “queen”.
Grey Prince Zote Notes & Trivia
- He can be challenged up to 10 times which increases his health and damage for each time you challenge him
- You'll only receive the reward of 300 Essence upon defeating him for the first run, the remaining, however, won't grant any rewards.
- Upon winning the 10th challenge, the statue inside Bretta's basement will turn into gold.
- His name will change each time he is defeated, at 10 times his name becomes Invincible Fearless Sensual Mysterious Enchanting Vigorous Diligent Overwhelming Gorgeous Passionate Terrifying Beautiful Powerful Grey Prince Zote.