SOUL is a Stat of The Knight in Hollow Knight. SOUL is characterized as a circular mask that you can see on the HUD on your left once it's been filled up with white liquid. SOUL can be used to heal or even cast spells. The maximum amount of SOUL the meter can hold is only up to 99. The amount will be reduced to 66 when you die, but it can be restored to normal once you kill a Shade.
- SOUL is used to cast spells to deal damage to enemies, or focus to heal yourself.
- You'll see the meter flashing briefly along with a sound effect when enough SOUL has been gathered for a spell.
- Using Focus or casting Spells will cost 33 SOUL.
How to Acquire SOUL
There are several ways to acquire SOUL in Hollow Knight, but the primary way is by attacking enemies using your Nail.
- Attacking an enemy can gain you 11 SOUL per hit.
- You can gain 14 SOUL per hit if you have the Soul Catcher charm equipped.
- You can gain 19 SOUL per hit if you have the Soul Eater charm equipped.
- Using the Dream Nail on enemies will let you gain 33 SOUL per hit. Equipping the Dream Wielder charm will double the amount to 66 SOUL per hit.
You can also find Soul Totems throughout Hallownest. You'll see them glowing once you go near one. Keep hitting it with your Nail, it will release orbs of energy that you Soul Vessels will absorb, it can then generate about 16 or 18 SOUL.
- After hitting the Soul Totem several times, it will no longer glow and it will stop giving you SOUL. It will recharge once you rest at a Bench.
- There are two standard sizes for the Soul Totem, both have several different appearances.
- You can hit a Small Soul Totem 3 times and it can give you about 48 to 54 SOUL.
- You can hit a Large Soul Totem 5 times and it can give you about 80 to 90 SOUL.
Soul Caches are glass jars containing the same energy orbs as Soul Totems, but they can only be hit once before shattering.
- Soul Caches can be found in the Soul Sanctum located within the City of Tears.
- Shattering a Soul Cache can grant you 20, 22, or 24 SOUL.
- Two Soul Caches can be found in the lighthouse located within The Abyss.
Soul Vessels are additional storage for SOUL. These are represented as small circles beside the main SOUL meter. If your main SOUL meter is full, the SOUL you will be gaining afterwards will then be transferred to one of your Soul Vessels if you've already crafted one.
- You can acquire a total of 3 Soul Vessels throughout the game, and these can be crafted by collecting Vessel Fragments.
- 3 Vessel Fragments are required in order to craft one Soul Vessel.
- A Soul Vessel can contain 33 SOUL.
- Soul Vessels transfer their SOUL to the main vessel when it is not full or when SOUL is not being used.
- The Nail acquires SOUL for the Soul Vessel, providing 6 SOUL per hit.
- Equipping the Soul Catcher will increase this to 8 SOUL per hit.
- Equipping the Soul Eater will increase this to 12 SOUL per hit.
- The effects stack if both Soul Catcher and Soul Eater are equipped, granting you 14 SOUL per hit.
Other Ways to Acquire SOUL
- Standing in the Hot Spring can grant you 50 SOUL per second.
- Equipping the Grubsong charm can grant you 15 SOUL everytime you get damaged.
- Equipping the Grubberfly's Elegy charm can grant you 25 SOUL everytime you get damaged.
- Having the Grubsong and Weaversong both equipped will grant you 3 SOUL whenever the weaverling hits an enemy.
- Having the Kingsoul charm equipped will grant you 4 SOUL every 2 seconds.
- Equipping Salubra's Blessing will grant you 50 SOUL per second when you resting at a Bench.
SOUL Notes & Tips
- Use the Spell Twister charm to reduce the cost of casting spells from 33 to 24.
- The Charms Soul Catcher and Soul Eater stack the increase in gaining SOUL per hit, meaning if you have them both equipped, you can gain 22 SOUL per hit.
- There are several unique Soul Totems that grant unlimited SOUL scattered throughout the Path of Pain which can be located within the White Palace.