Grubfather is an NPC in Hollow Knight. Grubfather is an elderly caterpillar-like bug called a Grub.
Grubfather is an old caterpillar who resides in his "Grubhome" in the Forgotten Crossroads. Once you encounter him, he provides you with the task to find his missing Grubs scattered across Hallownest (trapped in jars by The Collector) and in exchange, he will give rewards for each grub found. There is a total number of 46 Grubs; after finding the last Grub, he will provide the Grubberfly's Elegy charm.
After the quest of freeing all the Grubs is complete, if you rest at a bench and return to him, the Grubfather can be found lying on the ground in his chamber, distended from swallowing all of the grubs, who are distinctly heard cooing happily and contentedly, fully alive inside him.
The description of Grubberfly's Elegy suggests that this is a step in the grub life cycle, as it reads "Contains the gratitude of grubs who will move to the next stage of their lives." That is further implied by the achievement "Metamorphosis", rewarded upon saving all of the grubs.
- Location: Grubfather Can be found at the Forgotten Crossroads
- Combat: Players may not kill Grubfather.
- Rewards: Finishing his quest grants various rewards which will be listed below.
- Unlocks the Grubfriend and Metamorphosis Achievement/Trophy
- Grubfather's Lament - simply collect all 46 Grubs that are scattered all around the map.
|5 can be found in the Forgotten Crossroads.||10|
|4 can be found in Greenpath||50|
|2 can be found in Fungal Wastes||Grubsong|
|5 can be found in the City of Tears||100|
|7 can be found in Crystal Peak||140|
|1 can be found in Resting Grounds||200|
|3 can be found in Royal Waterways||200|
|1 can be found in Howling Cliffs||220|
|2 can be found in Kingdom's Edge||220|
|1 can be found in Fog Canyon||Pale Ore|
|3 can be found in Queen's Gardens||230|
|5 can be found in Deepnest||245|
|2 can be found in Ancient Basin||265|
|2 can be found in The Hive||280|
|3 can be found in the Tower of Love||295|
Notes & Tips
- Despite being called a “grub” (beetle larvae), the Grubfather and his young are technically caterpillars known as hornworms (as said in other translations of the game, and based on their obvious appearance, especially their bright green coloration). A “Grubberfly” as seen on the Grubberfly's Elegy Charm resembles and suggests that they metamorphose into a six-winged butterfly-like creature, further confirming this.
- True grubs are the larvae of beetles; they are very plump and white in colour (not green), and actually highly resemble and share numerous traits with the “Maggots” associated with False Knight.
Bardoon ♦ Bretta ♦ Brumm ♦ Charm Lover Salubra ♦ Cloth ♦ Confessor Jiji ♦ Cornifer ♦ Distant Villagers ♦ Divine ♦ Dreamers ♦ Dung Defender ♦ Elderbug ♦ Eternal Emilitia ♦ Fluke Hermit ♦ Godseeker ♦ Grey Mourner ♦ Grimmsteed ♦ Herrah the Beast ♦ Hornet ♦ Iselda ♦ Leg Eater ♦ Little Fool ♦ Lurien the Watcher ♦ Mask Maker ♦ Midwife ♦ Mister Mushroom ♦ Monomon the Teacher ♦ Moss Prophet ♦ Moth ♦ Myla ♦ Nailmaster Mato ♦ Nailmaster Oro ♦ Nailmaster Sheo ♦ Nailsmith ♦ Nymm ♦ Quirrel ♦ Relic Seeker Lemm ♦ Seer ♦ Sly ♦ Snail Shaman ♦ Steel Soul Jinn ♦ The Hunter ♦ The Last Stag ♦ The Nightmare's Heart ♦ The Pale King ♦ The White Lady ♦ Tiso ♦ Troupe Master Grimm ♦ Tuk ♦ Unn ♦ Vessel ♦ Willoh ♦ Zote the Mighty