Grubfather is an NPCs in Hollow Knight. Grubfather is an elderly caterpillar-like creature and is the patriarchal figure of a family of Grubs in Hallownest. The Grubfather can be encountered early on in the Forgotten Crossroads, bemoaning the disappearance of his children. The Knight can rescue his Grubs and be rewarded for each one returned to him.
Hollow Knight Grubfather Information
Grubfather is an old caterpillar who resides in his "Grubhome" in the Forgotten Crossroads. Once you encounter him, he provides you with the task to find his missing Grubs scattered across Hallownest (trapped in jars by The Collector) and in exchange, he will give rewards for each grub found. There is a total number of 46 Grubs; after finding the last Grub, he will provide the Grubberfly's Elegy charm.
After the quest of freeing all the Grubs is complete, if you rest at a bench and return to him, the Grubfather can be found lying on the ground in his chamber, distended from swallowing all of the grubs, who are distinctly heard cooing happily and contentedly, fully alive inside him.
The description of Grubberfly's Elegy suggests that this is a step in the grub life cycle, as it reads "Contains the gratitude of grubs who will move to the next stage of their lives." That is further implied by the achievement "Metamorphosis", rewarded upon saving all of the grubs.
- Location: Grubfather Can be found at the Forgotten Crossroads
- Combat: Players may not kill Grubfather. After rescuing al 46 Grubs and returning to the Grubfather in his bloated state, he can be attacked but this deals no damage and instead prompts laughter from the old bug.
- Rewards: Finishing his quest grants various rewards which will be listed below.
- Also Unlocks the Grubfriend and Metamorphosis Achievements/Trophies for rescuing 23 and 46 Grubs, respectively.
Grubfather Related Quests in Hollow Knight
- Grubfather's Lament - This quest tasks The Knight with finding and rescuing the 46 missing Grubs throughout Hallownest. The Grubs can be found trapped in glass jars across many different locations in Hallownest. Many require some clever platforming in order to reach, some can be found behind breakable walls or guarded by bosses, and others require The Knight to obtain certain upgrades first such as the ability to double jump with the Monarch Wings or swim across pools with Isma's Tear. Once rescued, Grubs will return back to the Grubhome. With each Grub rescued, the Grubfather will reward the Knight with many different items and Geo. You can return to the Grubfather at anytime after rescuing a Grub to collect your reward. You may also collect them all at once or in groups.
Hollow Knight Grub Locations
The tables below list the general location of all Grubs in Hallownest, as well as the rewards obtained by rescuing them and returning to the Grubfather. You can return to the Grubfather at anytime after rescuing a Grub to collect your reward. You may also collect them all at once or in groups. Most Grub rescues are rewarded with an increasing amount of Geo starting from 10 and up to 300. At certain thresholds, you will instead receive a valuable item.
- 5 Grubs Rescued: Mask Shard
- 10 Grubs Rescued: Grubsong charm
- 16 Grubs Rescued: Rancid Egg
- 23 Grubs Rescued: Hallownest Seal relic, Grubfriend Achievement
- 31 Grubs Rescued: Pale Ore
- 38 Grubs Rescued: King's Idol relic
- 46 Grubs Rescued: Grubberfly's Elegy charm, Metamorphosis Achievement
After obtaining Isma's Tear, the Knight can acquire The Collector's Map which marks down the exact location of all Grubs yet to be rescued on the map, aiding players in locating these creatures. See the Grubfather's Lament page for a guide on how to obtain the map.
|1||5 Grubs in the Forgotten Crossroads||10|
|6||4 Grubs in Greenpath||50|
|10||2 Grubs in the Fungal Wastes||Grubsong|
|12||5 Grubs in the City of Tears||100|
|17||7 Grubs in Crystal Peak||140|
|24||1 Grub in the Resting Grounds||200|
|25||3 Grubs in the Royal Waterways||200|
|28||1 Grub in the Howling Cliffs||220|
|29||2 Grubs in Kingdom's Edge||220|
|31||1 Grub in Fog Canyon||Pale Ore|
|32||3 Grubs in the Queen's Gardens||230|
|35||5 Grubs in Deepnest||245|
|40||2 Grubs in the Ancient Basin||265|
|42||2 Grubs in The Hive||280|
|44||3 Grubs in the Tower of Love||295|
Grubfather Dialogue in Hollow Knight
- After rescuing all 46 Grubs: "Happy...happy...happy!!!"
Hollow Knight Grubfather Notes & Tips
What kind of bug is the Grubfather in Hollow Knight?
- Despite being called a grub (beetle larvae), the Grubfather and his young are technically caterpillars known as hornworms (as said in other translations of the game, and based on their obvious appearance, especially their bright green coloration). A “Grubberfly” as seen on the Grubberfly's Elegy Charm resembles and suggests that they metamorphose into a six-winged butterfly-like creature, further confirming this.
- True grubs are the larvae of beetles; they are very plump and white in colour (not green), highly resembling and sharing numerous traits with the “Maggots” associated with False Knight.
- Other notes go here.
Bardoon ♦ Bretta ♦ Brumm ♦ Charm Lover Salubra ♦ Cloth ♦ Confessor Jiji ♦ Cornifer ♦ Distant Villagers ♦ Divine ♦ Dreamers ♦ Dung Defender ♦ Elderbug ♦ Eternal Emilitia ♦ Fluke Hermit ♦ Godseeker ♦ Grey Mourner ♦ Grimmsteed ♦ Grub ♦ Herrah the Beast ♦ Hornet ♦ Iselda ♦ Leg Eater ♦ Little Fool ♦ Lurien the Watcher ♦ Mask Maker ♦ Midwife ♦ Mister Mushroom ♦ Monomon the Teacher ♦ Moss Prophet ♦ Moth ♦ Myla ♦ Nailmaster Mato ♦ Nailmaster Oro ♦ Nailmaster Sheo ♦ Nailsmith ♦ Nymm ♦ PoggyThorax ♦ Quirrel ♦ Relic Seeker Lemm ♦ Seer ♦ Sly ♦ Snail Shaman ♦ Songstress Marissa ♦ Steel Soul Jinn ♦ The Hunter ♦ The Last Stag ♦ The Nightmare's Heart ♦ The Pale King ♦ The White Lady ♦ Tiso ♦ Troupe Master Grimm ♦ Tuk ♦ Unn ♦ Vessel ♦ Willoh ♦ Zote the Mighty
Grub-father, why- Why did you become a cocoon...?!
The rewards he gives do not correspond to the location of freed grubs, simply the total number.
he do be lookin thicc tho
He didn't eat them. He's their cocoon.
What a monster. I read this after I found them all. He is incredibly bouncy when you hit him with your sword.